Tuesday, January 16, 2007

What My Wallet Says About Me

Looking through my wallet people would see that I'm an organized person. Everything has a place, and they are always in their place. I have a checkbook size wallet that zips open and has two sides, divided by a zippered section. I have a change compartment on the outside of the wallet which also zips. On one side of the wallet are my drivers license, a couple of credit cards, my EvCC student ID card, and gift cards. Behind those is a slot I put money in. On the other side are my insurance cards, grocery store cards, movie cards, hotel and travel reward program cards. In the slot behind those are receipts from my debit card. In front of the cards, on either side of the middle zipper compartment are notes which are reminders of things I need to do, coupons I intend to use within the next couple of days, and at this time a hotel card for the Residence Inn I'm staying at.

Specifically, other than organization, there are other things my wallet say about me. My drivers license shows what I look like, how old I am and where I live. The EvCC card would tell someone that at one time I attended this community college. The fact that I only have two credit cards in my wallet shows that I don't charge many things. One is a gas card for Shell, the other is the debit/credit card I have from my checking account. There are no actual credit cards for department stores, etc. The gift cards symbolize that I have some money to spend at Target and Nordstroms. Since it was just Christmas someone would assume I got them as gifts, they would be correct. I also have Zune cards to purchase songs. This would tell someone that I own a Zune. At this time I have cash in my wallet, because I'm out of town and just went to the bank today. Normally at home I never have cash; people who know me know I never have cash. I don't know what others would think, or if they would assume that by the absence of it. The insurance cards show that I have family members. There are no pictures in my wallet, so this would be the only way they would know this. I don't normally carry pictures in my wallet, they get bent and worn; I picked this up from my Dad. The travel and hotel cards would tell someone that I travel often; my hotel of choice is the Marriott and I fly NWA. I have grocery store discount cards for Safeway & Haggens, which would tell someone that is where I do my grocery shopping. The coupons would show where I do some shopping, at this time it is a Petco coupon. That would tell someone I have at least one pet. I have a couple of to-do notes, unfortunately those are about the passing of my Mom and the things I need to do with the funeral home, etc. The receipts show where I usually frequent. At this time I only have a few, but they are from Starbucks and the rental car company.

The things I don't carry in my wallet are my social security card, this is for identity protection in case my wallet is lost. As I mentioned, I don't have any pictures of my loved ones. While the insurance card tells of my immediate family it doesn't indicate anything about my parents, siblings or other family members.

What's in your wallet, and what would it tell about you as an individual? What would you lose if you dropped your wallet without knowing it? What things would people not know about you because those items are not represented in your wallet?

1 comment:

English 101 said...

Thank you for sharing the pain about your mother. We are all so sorry--between the four of us, we have lost 6 parents: it is never easy and the memories are always fresh.
Thanks for sharing the details about your wallet. It seems like almost all of us carry little, if any, money around. Perhaps that says something about security as well. Like you, I do not carry pictures around---I wonder what that is about? I always thought it was because I was a private person about my personal life, although I have a lot of photos around me at home. It is fun to read all the blogs and see the similarities among those things that we do carry.
Lolly